Clown, adventurer and Guinness World Record holder Tim FitzHigham brings his critically acclaimed Edinburgh 2012 show Gambler to the E4 Udderbelly at Southbank Centre this summer.
At a time when the UK is reeling in the effects of some of the riskiest gambles ever made, Tim seeks to explore how and why we are all gamblers at heart. Inspired by bets from previous centuries recorded in the betting books of the most revered gentlemen’s clubs, Tim celebrates the nation’s love of gambling by attempting ten wagers, including:
- Riding to Dover before Alex Horne can draw a million dots on a piece of paper. Tim and Alex discovered their shared awe for this legendary bet and recreated it – to unbelievable lengths – in April
- Standing on one leg for twelve hours, against a bet from Neil Morrisey
- Pushing a wheelbarrow from Hertfordshire to Shoreditch in 11 hours, against a bet by Richard Hammond (as first attempted by the brilliantly named Goliath Shadbolt in 1789)
- Racing a racehorse over 100 yards
- Walking backwards for 30 miles
Tim is famed for his imaginative and foolhardy missions, including crossing the channel in a bathtub, ‘endurance’ Morris Dancing from London to Norwich, and rowing 160 miles down the River Thames in a paper boat (all World Record breaking stunts). On starting out in comedy, he was nominated for the prestigious Perrier Best Newcomer award and has since been made a Freeman of London and a Freeman of the Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the River Thames, has had a toilet named after him, is the Commodore of Sudbury Quay, the Pittance of Selby Town and Waterman to the Mayor and Unitary Authority of Swindon!
PRESS ON ‘GAMBLER’ EDINBURGH 2012
★★★★★ “you can’t help but be swept up in the delights of his adventure“ CHORTLE
★★★★★ “A rip-roaring show and FitzHigham is a gripping entertainer“ BRITISH COMEDY GUIDE
★★★★★ “Don’t let this show go to waste in the last week of the Fringe” DAILY DUST
★★★★ “Charming, inspirational and mad as a bag of weasels”BROADWAYBABY.COM
★★★★“You won’t stake a safer £12 at the Fringe” FEST
★★★★“One the most animated and eccentric comedians in the Fringe. So, go and see it!” ONE4REVIEW.CO.UK
“The perfect British Eccentric” DARA O’BRIAIN
“FitzHigham is completely unhinged, completely without hinges” EDDIE IZZARD.
For more information, please visit: www.southbankcentre.co.uk/udderbelly